Parable of the Bags of Gold • Matthew 25:14-30
Play with Purpose
What Can It Do?
Put several items in a bag, at least one item per family member. Recap the Bible story with the questions below and then pass the bag around and let everyone pull out an item. Tell them they must think of something creative they can do with that item, something different than how it is normally used. Really use your imaginations, have fun and get silly with it!
1. How many servants did the master leave his wealth to? (three)
2. What did the first servant do with the five bags of gold he was left? (he earned double the bags of gold, so ten total)
3. What did the second servant do with the two bags of gold he was left? (he earned double the bags of gold, so four total)
4. What did the third servant do with the one bag of gold he was left? (he buried it and didn’t earn anything)
5. What did Jesus want to teach us through this story? (God wants us to make the most of what we’ve been given.)
Sometimes it’s easy to look at what we have and not use it to the best of our ability. It would have been simple to give up and say there was nothing we could do with the items we chose. Instead, we decided we could make the most of what we were been given.
Pray something like this:
“Dear Jesus, thank You for the opportunity to work hard. We know that every small thing we do each day can be used to show your love to others. We ask that You help us see ways we can work hard this week and that we would be excited to be a part of a purpose that is bigger than ourselves! We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”
Coloring Page (PDF)
Word Search (PDF)