We encourage you to go on a Prayer Walk around your neighborhood and pray for your neighbors.
What is a Prayer Walk?
Prayer walking is a form of intercessory prayer - praying for the needs of others around you. You simply go on a walk and pray!
What do I pray?
1. Health, protection, encouragement, and hope for the people in the neighborhood.
2. Non-Christians in the neighborhood
- Pray for their eyes, ears and heart to be opened.
- Pray for them to admit their sin, confess and accept Jesus as their Savior and LORD.
- Pray for them to experience transformation in Christ.
3. Christ Followers in the neighborhood
- Pray they would be salt and light in their neighborhood.
- Pray for opportunities for them to serve and love their neighbors
Verses to be used as prayers
Numbers 6:24-26 - The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.
Isaiah 40:28-31 - Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.
2 Corinthians 4:7-10 - But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
Colossians 4:2-6 - Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
2 Chronicles 7:14 - if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Psalm 23 - The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Matthew 6:9-13 - This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Paul's Prayer for the Church
Colossians 1:9-12 - For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.
Ephesians 1:15-23 - For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.
Ephesians 3:14-21 - For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen
Philippians 1:3-11 - I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.
Where should I walk?
- Your Street - The street you live on.
- This would target neighbors you are most likely to connect with personally.
- Time Commitment: 5-10 minutes
- Your Neighborhood – Adjoining streets that make up your neighborhood.
- This would include a larger group of neighbors you might be able to connect with personally.
- Time Commitment: 10-20 minutes
- Your Block - The block in which your neighborhood is located.
- Most of Huntington Beach and surrounding cities are laid out in a grid of blocks. Most blocks are approximately 2 miles around. This would include neighbors you might encounter in the community – school, shopping, park, restaurants, etc.
- Time Commitment: 30-45 minutes
- Neighboring Blocks - Adjoining blocks to your neighborhood.
- Time Commitment: >45 minutes
Prayer Walk Tips
- Before your walk, prepare your heart. Ask God to guide, direct, and lead you on the prayer walk.
- Carry your phone to pray prayers you may have written or read scripture to prompt prayer.
- As you walk, keep your eyes open and be observant. Ask God to give you His perspective as you pray.
- Walk and pray inconspicuously either individually or in pairs. Consider including your children.
- Walk against traffic.
- Use Bible verses as a prayer.
- Pray for specific people or situations you may be acquainted with.
- Be sensitive to the thoughts and ideas God may be speaking to you and then record them.